Skip to main content

Manga Mayhem: My Dad's the Queen of All VTubers?! Complete Series

I had picked up the first volume of this series almost a year ago when I was back home visiting family. I got volume 2 pretty quickly after that, and then I sat on reading the last volume for way too long. I think I have a problem with finishing series. Like, my brain just doesn't want them to be over. So, I pushed back whatever is going on in in my skull, and I finally got around to finishing this little three volume comedy series. I don't know why it took me so long to pick up volume 3, but I am so glad I did. 

The basic premise of My Dad's the Queen of All VTubers?! is that a high school student finds out that his dad is secretly a super popular "female" VTuber. One that he himself had been obsessed with. Once that cat is out of the bag hijinks ensue as everyone is pulled into the wild world of being a VTuber. 

The series is mostly a series of comical sketches with very little over all narrative moving from chapter to chapter. I think the sitcom approach works very well with comedy style manga. If a particular joke isn't working, don't worry, it'll be over soon enough and everyone will be moving on to the next bit. The humor is also really fun, without being mean. 

The story plays a lot with the idea of gender, gender expression and outward appearance versus inner wants. It handles everything with a light touch, but somehow manages to still feel thoughtful. Takashi, our main character, has to deal with the fact that his dad has found a way to embrace his feminine side. There is no questioning the dad's sexuality, as he is very much in love with his wife, but he is drawn to all things girly and fun. In contrast, Takashi's mom is almost the stereotype of a hyper masculine bro who is fighting hard to be soft and feminine. The on going joke with her is that when she takes up being a VTuber, everyone thinks she is secretly an old man pretending to be a woman, and her nickname becomes Gramps. As the series goes on we learn more about other characters, and who they really are inside, compared to how they are perceived in the real world. 

It does all of this without once forgetting that it is a comedy series. The balance is really well managed, and made for a quick, easy read. At only 3 volumes long the series isn't even much of a commitment. I highly recommend checking out My Dad's the Queen of All VTubers?! It is a lot of fun, and surprisingly thoughtful. 

Comments