Skip to main content

General Update! - Reading Slump

 The thing I didn't want to have happen of course happened. I hit a reading slump. Something in my brain just clicked off and said, nope. Don't know what it is, or why, but it hit and it hit hard. Hence me not posting a lot on my reading diary. 

I am slowly making my way through my office book club book, Birthright by Nora Roberts. I can tell you that one is good just for that fact that not even my slump has kept me from enjoying it! It was 100% not the book I thought it was going to be, but I am enjoying the heck out of the book it is turning in to. This book feels like it came out when Nora Roberts was really hitting her stride. I think it came out either right before or after Midnight Bayou. I adore that book (and the TV movie), and feel like she was finding a good balance in her writing style there. Especially compared to something like Sanctuary, which was a fun thriller, but lacked the balance between the love scenes and moving the plot along. Birthright is that sweet spot. We get some solid, enjoyable romance and a plot that is intriguing, but also moving along fast enough to keep the reader's attention. 

I do think Pride, Prejudice & Zombies is playing a part in my current slump. That book was so not my style, and it kind of turned me off of reading for a little bit. I haven't had that bad of a reaction to a book in a while! 

Outside of that I really haven't been able to sit down and read. Even audiobooks are tough for me right now. Usually this happens when stress and anxiety start to overwhelm me. My brain has severe limits on what it can handle, and right now it can handle Trixie Mattel and Katya videos on YouTube. Those two are my safe space apparently. I honestly think I have been slipping on kind of setting a limit on reading about the current political situation, on top of a not great situation at work, and I think it is starting to get to me. Probably time to put myself on a news freeze for a day or two. It is always important to stay informed, but right now it is at the cost of my emotional well being, and if I'm an anxiety ridden mess I'm not going to be very useful if I need to take action. 

Alright, enough about my troubled mental state! I write a blog about dirty movies, we all know I'm not right in the head. When I have something more to post here I will. Hopefully I get through Birthright next week, and can post an actual full review of it. Otherwise, if I pick anything up I'll make sure to mention it! 

Comments