I am a big horror nut, and that includes the books I read. So, when Paperbacks from Hell came out, I of course started snapping up any old school paperbacks I could find. If it was sold on wire rack in a grocery store, I wanted it. One of the authors I had a really hard time finding books for was Ruby Jean Jensen.
She was a prolific horror paperback writer, starting out doing gothic romance, she shifted to horror and ended up doing most of her work for Zebra in the 1980's and 1990's. Her book covers were typical Zebra, with creepy dolls, kids and more skeletons than you can shake a stick at. The books themselves weren't groundbreaking, but she sold well enough to create her own little cult audience. By the time I was even aware of her existence most of her books were long since out of print, with Zebra's horror line shutting down in 1996. With the publication of Paperbacks from Hell her books, and the books of many other similar authors, went from being easy used book store finds to pricey collectors items. For a time some of her old paperbacks could go for hundreds of dollars. This has changed as the collectors market for horror paperbacks has cooled down, but at the time only her later novels could really be picked up for affordable prices. That was how I got my hands on her last published novel, Night Thunder.
Night Thunder follows a family that gets tangled up in what might be an undead cult. Honestly, the plot doesn't sound like anything special, but once I got into the book I was blown away. It was nothing like what I was expecting. It was MEAN! It went dark, and as far as the horror went, it went hard. It wasn't splatter punk by any stretch, but everyone in this book was at risk of dying horribly. Men, women, children, pets. Everyone was at risk, and no one got a soft exit. I will say, if child death is a no go for you, stay clear from Ruby Jean Jensen's books. She had no problem offing the young and (mostly) innocent in really gruesome ways. It was also shockingly creepy, and pushed all the right buttons for me. I flew through this one, and enjoyed every minute of it.
I am someone who is very much a pacing person. I need a book to maintain a solid pace. It doesn't need to fly by, but it needs to fit the type of story I am reading. I want my thrillers to be thrilling, and to move. I am fine with something more literary and thoughtful to take its time. For a horror paperback published by Zebra, I want the book to hit the ground running and not quit until I reach the last page. These books were not written to be thoughtful explorations of the human psyche. They were written to be horror yarns that bored housewives, and nerdy teens could pick up for a couple of bucks at the local drug store. Jensen's pacing, especially in this book, is spot on. She builds tension easily, always keeping the reader on edge. She understands the importance of letting the threat slowly reveal itself, and then once everything is out in the open she is off to the races. For an author who gets called a hack by a lot of people, she is excellent at pacing in the books I've read by her.
Not all her novels are winners, mind you. Some can be clunky, or have a weak central idea, but a good chunk of the ones I've read are really fun. You just have to understand that this is essentially pulp. These novels were written fast, and for not a lot of money. These were not books that ever dreamed of being on the New York Times Best Seller list. The Zebra horror line was releasing a ton of books a month at their peak, and they need material to fill those release slots. Jensen, like a lot of mid-range paperback authors of her time, were publishing two to three books a year, compared to the one most top tier authors were putting out. This books are fun, and some are good, but they were also written with a very commercial purpose, on a time table that meant that they didn't always get multiple passes. As far as horror pulp goes, I consider Jensen one of the best. If you like your books a little more literary... than you may want to give her a pass.
I do think Night Thunder is a good starting point for Ruby Jean Jensen. At this point she knew how to write a solid horror novel, and had her craft pretty well honed. This is also one of her better developed stories. Some of her books, while good, can feel a little under developed. The Reckoning is a good example of that. Most likely that is due to the books having to be pushed out so quickly. While it doesn't feature some of her earlier staples, like creepy dolls, Night Thunder is a very well told horror yarn. Her writing can be a bit simple, but it is always readable. Most, if not all, of her books are being reprinted by a family member of hers now, and are available in both digital and hard copies. I don't think audiobooks of these exist though. At least you won't have to hunt down a $50 copy that is listed as Like New, but shows up with half the cover ripped off and water damage!
Comments
Post a Comment