Skip to main content

Office Book Club Pick: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - Starting Out

 One of the things that has kept me reading regularly is my office book club. We chose some interesting novels for that group.  Some highlights are The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks, Penance by Kanea Minato, and Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews. So now a literary classic viewed through a Romero lense has joined those ranks. 

I am trying to get this book going, but the act of just reading, getting into the text, is proving difficult. This isn't actually the book's fault. This is a product of my anxiety. For some reason when my anxiety is at its highest I cannot get my brain to latch on to a narrative. Written, filmed, does not matter. I can handle simple talk podcasts, or even true crime, but a fictional narrative proves to be to much. Hopefully I can push through, as I feel like this is a book I will at the very least find entertaining. I'll be giving updates as I make my way through the book. 

I know this book has some mixed reviews, so this should be interesting.  I will say, an audio book may be a bad idea for me right now. I am only a few chapters in, and I am finding it hard to keep track of the characters. I blame my anxious and tired brain for that more than anything. I also think some familiarity with the original source material would have been a good idea, but it is a little late now. 

I will say, I am appreciating the humor and absurdity of everything. I know a complaint I had heard was that the switch between the two writing styles was jarring, but with so far I haven't had that problem. It does kind of feel like someone's thirteen year old brother tried to write a better version of Pride and Prejudice and that is how we ended up with a regency era dojo in the British countryside. Hopefully this book keeps the good will I am feeling towards it now. 

Comments