Skip to main content

A Manga Interlude: Pet Shop of Horrors

 While I am listening to Pride & Prejudice & Zombies I thought I would break things up by diving into Seven Seas re-release of the shojo classic Pet Shop of Horrors. This was a series I read back when Tokyopop was originally releasing it, and am insanely overjoyed to get a chance to read it again. Especially since this new edition is very nicely put together. 

My first exposure to this series was actual the anime when it was released by Urban Vision many years ago. The anime episodes adapt a few of the early stories from the manga, and manage to get the general tone and feel of the manga down near perfectly. 

The manga itself follows a formula. Essentially, it uses the structure of the film Gremlins. A customer comes into Count D's Pet Shop looking for a rare and exotic pet.  Count D will take them to the back and introduce them to the "pet", which usually resembles a human. The person will become entranced with the pet, and purchase it straight away. Of course, after the purchase is done they are told the three rules they must always follow when it comes to their rare and exotic pet. If you don't follow the rules, things can go very, very badly. 

While the structure is nothing amazing, the storytelling is shockingly strong. Re-reading the first chapter I was struck by who quickly the story moves, while at no point making me feel like I was missing out on anything. This is, honestly, one of the strongest horror anthology style series I have ever read. The stories are effective, and at times even manage to be a little shocking with how gruesome things get.  While I do remember this formula does get a little tiresome as the series progresses, going back to it now, I am very impressed with how well done the whole series is. 

I also have to mention the art. It is pure 90's shojo. Everyone is beautiful and wispy. Luckily the chins are not too pointy, but the series for sure plays to visual tropes of the genre at the time. The art is also very beautiful when it needs to be, and very gory when it is called for. You get a good taste of that in the first story. 

I am so looking forward to continuing exploring this little gem from my past, and am so happy I don't have to hunt down used volumes to do it. 

--

Update: 

I thought I would just include this update here since I only made this post today. As expected, I burned through the first volume of the Collector's Edition. Also, as expected, I loved every minute of it. The stories range from pretty much outright horror to more light fare, to morality tales that would fit right in the Twilight Zone.  I seriously cannot recommend this manga enough, and am so grateful that I am getting a chance to experience these stories all over again. This was a perfect little trip down memory lane for me, and I already pre-ordered volume 2.  It is seriously great when something you used to love stands the test of time. 

Comments